There are so many tasty and tempting drinks at Starbucks. However, if you have prediabetes or diabetes you may have noticed that the sugar content can be quite high!
In order to keep your blood sugar levels at an optimal level, you will want to find the lowest sugar options when going to Starbucks. If you are watching your sugar intake, keep reading to find out some of the tastiest of the lowest sugar Starbucks drinks.
Why are low sugar options important
When someone has prediabetes or diabetes, it is important to avoid foods high in sugar whenever possible. This is because they are not able to utilize insulin as efficiently in order to return blood sugar levels to normal.
Instead of insulin helping to bring sugar from the blood into the cells, it stays in the blood stream. This can be problematic and create long term complications like impaired vision, impaired wound healing, poor circulation, or neuropathy.
Therefore, when insulin is not able to sufficiently keep blood sugar levels normalized, it is important to limit added sugars in your diet.
10 best lowest sugar Starbucks drinks
Below is a list of some of the lowest sugar options from Starbucks. Keep in mind that this does not necessarily mean they are low in sugar, but rather the lowest sugar options – there is a difference! They are ordered from my least favorite to favorite – not necessarily in sugar content order.
All of the below choices are based on a grande size with the standard 2% milk.
10. Tazo Full Leaf Tea Latte – 30 grams
9. Iced Coffee with Milk – 24 grams
8. Cafe Latte – 17 grams
7. Mocha Light Frappuccino – 30 grams
6. Cappuccino – 10 grams
5. Shaken Iced Tazo Tea – 21 grams
4. Espresso – 0 grams
3. Skinny Latte – 16 grams
2. Coffee Light Frappuccino – 26 grams
- Salted Caramel Cream Cold Brew – 26 grams
How to alter your drink to make it even lower in sugar!
As you can see there are several great options. However, you may be wondering if it is possible to get those numbers even lower. The good news is that, yes, there are some great simple alterations you can make to cut down even further on the sugar content of your Starbucks drink.
- Ask for soy milk. For a grande size hot drink, making the switch from the standard 2% milk to soy milk can save you an average of 8-9 grams of sugar
- Add or replace the flavor with sugar-free syrup. Starbucks has sugar free vanilla syrup so you can still enjoy a taste of flavor without the added sugar (or calories)!
- Size down. Not only will sizing down save you some $$, but it will also save you some grams of sugar! People are quick to order a grande or venti (medium or large), but having just a few less ounces can drastically cut nack on your sugar intake.
When looking to lower your sugar intake, it is important to remember that you can still enjoy some of your favorite foods. With making some simple well-informed alterations to your drink order, you can create one of the tastiest and lowest sugar Starbucks drinks!